The Schooba curriculum works as an interactive guide, where a combination of lessons, activities, and demonstrations present standards-based science through scuba diving.
In the pilot curriculum, 5 NYS Intermediate Level (Grades 5-8) Science Core Curriculum Major Understandings are covered:
– LE 1.2d During respiration, cells use oxygen to release the energy stored in food. The respiratory system supplies oxygen and removes carbon dioxide (gas exchange)
– PE 2.1b As altitude increases, air pressure decreases
– PE 3.1d Gases have neither a determined shape nor a definite volume. Gases assume the shape and volume of a closed container
– PE 3.1h Density can be described as the amount of matter that is in a given amount of space. If two objects have equal volume, but one has more mass, the one with more mass is denser
– PE 3.1i Buoyancy is determined by comparative densities