…Ok, so that was corny, but it’s true!! And I couldn’t be more excited. The Schooba Academy has officially partnered with K586 – Lyons Community School, a title-1 NYC public school in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn serving students grades 6-12. They will be our pool for the pilot (pun intended) which has been set to launch January 15. So, it seems my next step is to secure equipment and facilities. Check out the updated one pager that I’ll be presenting to dive shops to try and get some donations. (You can’t see it here, but there are dual Schooba and Lyons logos on the letterhead. It looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself.)
The Schooba Academy
Teaching Science through SCUBA
Who we are:
The Schooba Academy has designed a curriculum that teaches standards-based middle and high school science through the PADI Scuba Diver training.
Why we work:
It is The Schooba Academy’s mission to foster a sustained engagement in science for students from low-income communities through the learning of SCUBA diving.
What will happen:
A student that completes our program will become a student that sees science as an interesting and worthwhile investment. Outcomes over time will be:
- Short-term (0 – 9 weeks) – Students will spend more time on, put more effort into, and engage in more challenging science problems
- Mid-term (9 weeks – 1 year) – Improved performance in science class
- Long-term (+1 year) – Students will more aggressively pursue opportunities in science
Who we work with:
The Schooba Academy has partnered with K586 – Lyons Community School, a title-1 NYC public school serving students grades 6-12.
We are looking to run 2 pilot courses beginning January 15, 2010 and serving 10 students. The curriculum will connect the PADI Scuba Diver training to 5 NYS Intermediate Level Science Core Curriculum Major Understandings.
To complete this pilot, we are asking for donations of products, donations of money, and support in raising awareness. Our budget is $3,500, and we still need donations of money, PADI Open Water Diver Manuals, the PADI Open Water Diver Video, SCUBA equipment, and a pool to train in. In return, a Partnership will provide retailers with:
- The opportunity of being a part of a new and innovative organization dedicated to helping young people in need
- Positive PR and the opportunity of marketing their involvement with The Schooba Academy
- Retail traffic
- Exclusive referrals